Skip to main content

Restaurant etiquette....

You know those scenes in movies where someone, usually a dude, says something inappropriate and the strong women that he offended so carelessly throws a drink in his face? And the man always takes it sheepishly, showing with a look that he knows he fucked up and shouldn't have crossed whatever line he
did to get that drink thrown at him. Then he gently dabs his face with a napkin while the woman storms out and hails a cab, not looking back to see if he chases after her, which of course he does. Then, later in the story after we see a montage of them both moving on, her more successfully than him, there is a scene where the guy calls and leave a message on her answering machine, or writes her a letter from Spain where he went to gather his thoughts and he apologizes for whatever he did and begs to see her just one more time.

We've all fantasized about something like that, right? Showing that guy that his garish behavior deserved nothing less, and he got off easy if you ask me! Or...did he? Because I did something like that twice (yeah, twice. I know, I know...) in my life and let's just say the movie version was way less sweaty and humiliating and I'm willing to wager that the heroine didn't puke when she got home.


The first time was when I was about 21 and after a night of karaoke and Kamikaze shots (blarf!) my friends and I settled into a booth at our favorite 24 hour diner, The Cardinal. This place was our JAM! We were there several nights a week and always had a great time. All the waiters new us and we could make a ruckus an they all thought it was fun! (Actually now that I'm older and think about it I bet they thought we sucked, because I think 21 year olds suck doing anything, let alone being drunk douche bags at 2:00 in the morning. Anyway, I digress.)

This night in particular The Cardinal was packed to the rafters with drunk assholes sloppily choking down greasy burgers and fried zucchini. I was with a bunch of my girlfriends who started chatting with the booth next to us of dudes. The details are fuzzy (duh) but at some point one of the dudes said something shitty, or maybe I said something shitty, or something shitty happened and I decided I was going to teach that dude a lesson he wouldn't forget. Until the next day of course because I bet he was in a blackout. What I do recall is the guy saying something about a whore and then mentioning his girlfriend. I stood in front of his table and made some remark about his "girlfriend selling her ass on the corner" (my current inner feminist is shuddering right now) and picked up a glass of water and threw it in his face. His friends said "oooohhhhhhh!" and my friends gasped and I later repeated the story and my "joke" proudly over and over until everyone had heard it and stopped reacting.

The other time was when I was at a bar and some drunk dick bag was heckling my husband during his stand up set(yup, I said husband, which meant I was in my early 30's at this point). The guy was so annoying and loud and stupid and I was seething with rage! When the show ended I had about three vodka sodas and decided that I was going to word this dude up, so I stood by his table just hoping he would notice me. Then he did. He said,"hhlllaaeelllaooaooo hahah", because he was that sloppy and shit housed. I smiled and walked over and something to the effect of, "You ruined the show because you never stopped talking!" He was with a girl who had a look of "not again" on her face, and she quickly looked down and started staring at her phone. He shot back, "Hammenaderasd and you're a fucking bitch!" So I picked up the sugar caddy and threw it at him. Sugar packets went flying all over the floor and onto this guy and his friend who was still looking at her phone, trying to tune it all out.

Well, I unfortunately didn't get heart felt apology notes from Europe three weeks later from either of these gentlemen thanking me for my bravery and grace while I threw these items in their faces. Nope! In both cases in fact both the dudes threw something back at me (which is fair, really) and started screaming about what a bitch I was until they were thrown out. Also no one applauded my bold move shutting these dudes down. Though maybe they was a little impressed by the size of my balls for a second or two, for the most part they were embarrassed. Especially my husband, who first off didn't need me defending him against the heckler, he didn't care and is a pro and whatever, and because his wife behaved poorly. I also didn't feel vindicated AT ALL! In fact I was ashamed and thought about what I would say in the letter or on the answering machine to apologize.


These stories popped back into my mind today as I took my daughter to a diner to meet a friend. I put her in her chair and she instantly started yelling, crying and throwing things in my face, like sugar packets from the caddy and ice from my water class before throwing it all on the ground.

Then it hit me. Apple, meet tree.

I. Am. Fucked.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A "Geriatric Pregnancy" aka "Wow, You Must Be Old As F**k!"

Recently at a store I frequent I had an interaction with the checker I always chat with. He's a nice guy, young, stoned, friendly. For a dude who's constantly baked his memory is impeccable. He always asks about my daughter, and our dog, Dave, and wants to hear about the thing I told him I was going to do the last time I saw him, etc. You get it. Just as I was about to say goodbye he asked if he could check out my engagement ring, since he was in the market and wanted some ideas! And even though I fucking hate it when other people do this, I squealed and jumped up and down a little bit. It seems it's an involuntary response. I asked about his girlfriend. Dude: "She's super cool, very chill for a Caucasian." Me: "Oh, that's good. Most white people are the worst." Dude: "She's like a hippie chick, but not a Vegan or anything." Me: "Thank God." Dude: "And she wants to have kids one day, which is awesome!

My Dad

Yesterday, July 5th, my dad, Richard Albert, died. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 12 years ago and from that developed an insidious type of dementia called Lewy Bodies, which causes a lot of physical issues and accelerates the Parkinson's decline. Basically he was served a shit sandwich with a side of fuck my life. My dad was a quirky guy with a weird sense of humor. He used to play with me by chasing me around the house with a hammer and pretend he was going to smash my little toes. He would pack our lunches with a dog treat that he carefully tin foiled so when we would open it up at lunch all the other kids would laugh and scream. He made us waffles with ice cream in the middle for breakfast and ONLY creamed corn for dinner. He drank buttermilk from the carton. And prune juice. He was private. He would take hour long poops just to be alone and think. He was a scientist and mathematician. He was always trying to work out these insanely impossible to solve equati

Scared Sh*tless For Your Kids Safety? Try These Alternative Solutions!

If you're a parent I bet your days are filled to the brim with utter fear and anxiety that at any minute the world will end. It's scary enough having kids and worrying they're going to hurt themselves just by falling off their roller shoes, let alone the possibility of them walking into a Chuck E Cheese on a random Tuesday and having to duck and cover because one of the animatronics with a history of violence has beef with the day manager. (How did he get hired in the first place?!) So what are we, as parents of the future generation, supposed to do to deal with all this insanity? While there are the logical and thoughtful solutions suggested time after time like, uh, how about we don't give that dude who with a Google history exclusively on "How To Burn A Cat Alive Without Making A Mess" that AR-15, ideas like that  are clearly insane and threaten the very core of all American values of being able to own ALL THE GUNS.    It seems like the only thing we can