Skip to main content

What they won't tell you part 1.

Something that no one talks about in the parenting community is that most likely you will get postpartum depression. It's shockingly common and totally sucks. However, if you do experience this do whatever you need to do to care for yourself and know you will be fine.

Some people have horrible experiences with it. Non stop crying, no interest in their kid, thoughts of suicide or running away. Some don't even know they're going through it. Some are like me, a person who has grappled with depression their entire lives and take precautions to avoid it through medication and awareness. In any case it still occurs and it sucks.

I have dealt with depression since I was 10. Early on to realize that life sorta sucks sometimes, right? Yeah, I know. Depression blows no matter how you slice it. It's annoying and tiring and cliche. It's hard to be around and hard to understand. It's gross. With my background dealing with what was at times debilitating depression,  I was incredibly nervous about the idea of having postpartum. Terrified in fact.

I was honest with my doctor. Come to think of it, it was probably the first time I had been completely forthcoming with any physician ever! No one over the age of 21 is totally truthful when it comes to your yearly check up, and if you're thinking "nuh uh! I am!' then you're lying right now to yourself which is also a problem so look into it!
Anytime a doctors asked me about drinking, the answer was "maybe once a week! I don't know, I'm not a big drinker!" When in truth I probably still had Kamikazee shot breath from the evening before. Smoke? What are you crazy doc? Wait...do you mean cigarettes? Or pot? Because pot is totally fine, right?! Cigs? Gross...unless I'm drunk and high. Other drugs? This interview is over sir, thankyouverymuch!

About depression though I was honest because for the first time it wasn't just about me!

I told my OB about my past experiences fully expecting her to click her tongue in judgement and quietly suggest I re-think this whole motherhood thing. But she didn't. She didn't even blink, in fact. She asked if I was on medication currently and to keep her abreast of how I was feeling. She told me it was very important for me to feel stable and happy, and that being on medication is the best choice. She was supportive and open and reassuring and let me know that I wasn't alone.

When I did get postpartum it was 10 and a half months after having my baby. It came on swiftly and hard, right after she weened herself from breastfeeding. It felt lonely and cold, and similar to how my depression had felt before, but I was sadder and everything set me off. It was a very difficult time for my husband and I, but the baby didn't suffer at all. She continued to thrive and babble and try to walk, and I loved her endlessly and unconditionally. I just cried in Target dressing rooms a little more than normal.

Look, here's the scoop. Mental illness if fucking everywhere. It's normal. I think the term "mental illness" is too harsh and overwhelming when it comes to depression or anxiety. It's just being a goddamn human to feel overwhelmed and sad every once in a while. Postpartum depression is also super fucking normal! Dang near inevitable and nothing to be ashamed about! Some of us need to get medication to dig themselves out of the sadness hole sometimes. It's not a big deal.

Depression and anxiety. Let's talk about it, share your experiences, and know that you are not alone. If there are any readers out there who want to message me directly and talk about your experiences I will absolutely be here as a supportive sounding board!

The bottom line is this: you are not alone, you are crushing this mommy thing, and it's quite possible that your butthole will forever be that way.

More on that later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A "Geriatric Pregnancy" aka "Wow, You Must Be Old As F**k!"

Recently at a store I frequent I had an interaction with the checker I always chat with. He's a nice guy, young, stoned, friendly. For a dude who's constantly baked his memory is impeccable. He always asks about my daughter, and our dog, Dave, and wants to hear about the thing I told him I was going to do the last time I saw him, etc. You get it. Just as I was about to say goodbye he asked if he could check out my engagement ring, since he was in the market and wanted some ideas! And even though I fucking hate it when other people do this, I squealed and jumped up and down a little bit. It seems it's an involuntary response. I asked about his girlfriend. Dude: "She's super cool, very chill for a Caucasian." Me: "Oh, that's good. Most white people are the worst." Dude: "She's like a hippie chick, but not a Vegan or anything." Me: "Thank God." Dude: "And she wants to have kids one day, which is awesome!

My Dad

Yesterday, July 5th, my dad, Richard Albert, died. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 12 years ago and from that developed an insidious type of dementia called Lewy Bodies, which causes a lot of physical issues and accelerates the Parkinson's decline. Basically he was served a shit sandwich with a side of fuck my life. My dad was a quirky guy with a weird sense of humor. He used to play with me by chasing me around the house with a hammer and pretend he was going to smash my little toes. He would pack our lunches with a dog treat that he carefully tin foiled so when we would open it up at lunch all the other kids would laugh and scream. He made us waffles with ice cream in the middle for breakfast and ONLY creamed corn for dinner. He drank buttermilk from the carton. And prune juice. He was private. He would take hour long poops just to be alone and think. He was a scientist and mathematician. He was always trying to work out these insanely impossible to solve equati

Scared Sh*tless For Your Kids Safety? Try These Alternative Solutions!

If you're a parent I bet your days are filled to the brim with utter fear and anxiety that at any minute the world will end. It's scary enough having kids and worrying they're going to hurt themselves just by falling off their roller shoes, let alone the possibility of them walking into a Chuck E Cheese on a random Tuesday and having to duck and cover because one of the animatronics with a history of violence has beef with the day manager. (How did he get hired in the first place?!) So what are we, as parents of the future generation, supposed to do to deal with all this insanity? While there are the logical and thoughtful solutions suggested time after time like, uh, how about we don't give that dude who with a Google history exclusively on "How To Burn A Cat Alive Without Making A Mess" that AR-15, ideas like that  are clearly insane and threaten the very core of all American values of being able to own ALL THE GUNS.    It seems like the only thing we can