Skip to main content

5 Places I Used To Love That Now Suck Because Of My Kid

We all have these places, whether it be an exotic locale or just a place where you buy your socks. Either way, just the thought of visiting your favorite places adds a little spring to your step. Then you have kids and they ruin them. These were mine.




1. The Beach

The beach used to be DOPE! Hanging out with your friends, maybe late night with a bonfire, sneaking some booze in a Sprite bottle, maybe taking a lil toke off that strangers j! Now it's taking two hours to pack up the car to make sure you have the right blankets, changing pads, 20 towels, three changes of clothes for the whole family, kids sunscreen for body, for face and hat, sunscreen for parents, water bottles, snacks, bug spray, floaties, whistle, Frisbee, shoes that can get wet, apple juice, aloe, huge umbrella...oh fuck it, let's stay home and watch Netflix.



2. Target

Target used the be the place I would go to forget my worries for a little bit. It's a wonderland of hair products and clothes and booze and furniture. You can go in for tampons and leave with a recliner! It's heaven. Well, it was. Now if I go in there with my toddler, I better have a plan of action and if that derails at all at any point, I ditch the plan and try again tomorrow, because if my kid gets bored for one second it's all over. She's start trying to rip the clothes off the racks, throw the produce and knock over a whole shelf of canned goods. And if I God forbid don't let her do those things, she'll scream like she just saw Donald Trump naked. So long, Target.



3. Restaurants

When my husband and I lived in New York we would go out every other night to a new restaurant. We would love taking our sweet time enjoying appetizers, having that extra glass of wine, laughing at each others jokes knowing we had all the time in the world. Life was our Grand Central Oyster Bar. Nowadays, we basically order from the hostess and hand over our credit card as she's seating us while requesting to go containers be delivered with the meals. Essentially the second we get food in any dining establishment we know the clock is ticking before our kid makes us the asshole cautionary tale of why you don't bring kids to restaurants.


4. New York

I know I mentioned New York in my previous post about restaurants, but the truth is, all of that gorgeous, stinkin' city is off the table now that we're parents. While I would love nothing more than to culture the shit out of my kid with the architecture, the art and every day experiences, I'm certain we would step off the plane ready for a high falutin adventure, only to re-board immediately because of the epic fit she should throw due to our unwillingness to let her put that used condom she found on the sidewalk on St. Marks into her mouth.


5. Hotels

At one point in my life I was touring with a corporate comedy team, and on average I would spend two nights a week in a swanky hotel. This was clearly the way my life was supposed to go, as I am very good at staying in hotels. I don't need the debaucherous sexual activity to have a great time. I just need to know that I can throw my towels on the floor and get a grilled cheese at 3am to live well. I'm not asking for much! Sadly, those days are long gone now that I have a kid. Hotels went from a magical place filled with mini-fridges and Jacuzzi tubs to a big room where everyone is staying all together, which means pitch blackness and total silence after 8:30pm. And if anyone breaks that rule, just know there will be hell to pay in the form of a sleepness night with an insistent toddle wedged horizontally between you and your mate. No late night $14 potato wedges delivered to your door on a fancy plate can make save you this time. Farewell, hotels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A "Geriatric Pregnancy" aka "Wow, You Must Be Old As F**k!"

Recently at a store I frequent I had an interaction with the checker I always chat with. He's a nice guy, young, stoned, friendly. For a dude who's constantly baked his memory is impeccable. He always asks about my daughter, and our dog, Dave, and wants to hear about the thing I told him I was going to do the last time I saw him, etc. You get it. Just as I was about to say goodbye he asked if he could check out my engagement ring, since he was in the market and wanted some ideas! And even though I fucking hate it when other people do this, I squealed and jumped up and down a little bit. It seems it's an involuntary response. I asked about his girlfriend. Dude: "She's super cool, very chill for a Caucasian." Me: "Oh, that's good. Most white people are the worst." Dude: "She's like a hippie chick, but not a Vegan or anything." Me: "Thank God." Dude: "And she wants to have kids one day, which is awesome!

My Dad

Yesterday, July 5th, my dad, Richard Albert, died. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 12 years ago and from that developed an insidious type of dementia called Lewy Bodies, which causes a lot of physical issues and accelerates the Parkinson's decline. Basically he was served a shit sandwich with a side of fuck my life. My dad was a quirky guy with a weird sense of humor. He used to play with me by chasing me around the house with a hammer and pretend he was going to smash my little toes. He would pack our lunches with a dog treat that he carefully tin foiled so when we would open it up at lunch all the other kids would laugh and scream. He made us waffles with ice cream in the middle for breakfast and ONLY creamed corn for dinner. He drank buttermilk from the carton. And prune juice. He was private. He would take hour long poops just to be alone and think. He was a scientist and mathematician. He was always trying to work out these insanely impossible to solve equati

Scared Sh*tless For Your Kids Safety? Try These Alternative Solutions!

If you're a parent I bet your days are filled to the brim with utter fear and anxiety that at any minute the world will end. It's scary enough having kids and worrying they're going to hurt themselves just by falling off their roller shoes, let alone the possibility of them walking into a Chuck E Cheese on a random Tuesday and having to duck and cover because one of the animatronics with a history of violence has beef with the day manager. (How did he get hired in the first place?!) So what are we, as parents of the future generation, supposed to do to deal with all this insanity? While there are the logical and thoughtful solutions suggested time after time like, uh, how about we don't give that dude who with a Google history exclusively on "How To Burn A Cat Alive Without Making A Mess" that AR-15, ideas like that  are clearly insane and threaten the very core of all American values of being able to own ALL THE GUNS.    It seems like the only thing we can