Skip to main content

Baby's First Airplane Ride/Assaulted by Farts

Recently my husband and I took our little babe on an airplane for the first time. Needless to say, we were both very nervous and not looking forward to that experience. While eager to have her hang with her grandparents and meet her cousins, we were convinced it would be a total shit show.


                                          The Cobbs before take off, bracing themselves!

Because flying typically sucks anyway, my old man and I always have a bit of a routine. We get to the airport a little too late, talk shit about all the people who bring way too many bags to check (Jesus, lady, it's a three hour flight from LA to Memphis, why are you checking 14 moving boxes?!), talk a little more shit about the asshole in front of us in the security line who can't seem to remember to take out his laptop before going though the metal detector, and is baffled and offended that they made him throw out his practically empty water bottle, (Dude, you're 40, how do you not know how to get of a goddamn airplane?!), then run to the closest bar to get a $17 bloody Mary and drink away our feelings of regret. It's fun to have traditions!

This time we didn't do that due to having our offspring with us, so we were carrying way too many things to casually hop on a bar stool and chug a spicy alcoholic drink. There is nothing worse that not being able to get the bartenders attention because the assholes who brought their kid into the bar had to basically set up a nursery in order to keep the kiddo quiet.
We were very lucky had the luxury of being able to get her her own seat, so she got to chill in her car seat the entire flight. As we were waiting to pre-board (which is def a check in the ole' "pro" column if you're perched on the parenting fence) Bo decided it was a good time to scare the bajesus out of all our fellow passengers but throwing a bit of a fit. The looks of hatred I felt burrowing into the back of my skull that day left a bald spot. We braced ourselves and boarded.

Now before I continue with the results of that first flight, I'd like to comment on this trend of parents bribing fellow passengers on flights with little pre-made gift bags of candy or gum or ear plugs, along with a note from the baby that says "Hi, my name is Max, and I'm 5 months old! This is my first flight, so I may get upset when the plane goes up and down because my ears hurt, OW! I'm sorry if I cry but I hope this bag of crap and how adorable I am makes up for the fact that the next several hours will be some of the worst of your entire life. Love, This Baby"

The truth is, even if a baby who could write notes and put together gift bags had given one of those to me prior to be having my Bo, I'd still be super annoyed being next to a crying baby and I would angrily chew my gum and eat that candy and shove those plugs in my ears in perfect time to my eye rolling and hating. Because before I had my kid I was a giant, selfish dick bag who thought that I deserved a better experience than everyone else. You know who else is like that? The entire planet. And you should be! When you don't have kids you're supposed to be selfish! It's your job!

Clearly we didn't do any of those little bribe bags, or even pre-apologize with a down cast shameful look as we made our way to our seats. Because guess what? She's a baby, and she may cry and she may not. And if I could, I would go back in time to tell my past self to stop being such a twat and read your damn Tiger Beat, or whatever you kids were into those days.

Anyway, we boarded and we got her squared away in her seat. We had all the accoutrements ready to go: Binky, check! Water, check! Books, check! Snacks, check, check, check! Headphones for me, check! Credit card in my hand the second the drink cart comes along to get myself some whiskey, check!
We start our ascent and I watch my kid ready for that sweet face to crumble into ear piercing screams and....nothing. Not a peep. The entire flight! And let me tell you, we were friggin' celebrities coming off that plane! People were stopping us at the baggage claim, shaking our hands, cooing at Bo. Telling us how amazing she was, and how great we are with her. She was a rock star. I thought how on earth could I ever have doubted this perfect angel! She's clearly advanced and very mature, and understood that the plane was depressurizing and if she swallowed or used her Binky, everything would be OK. "Oh mother and father, worry not!" she said, "for I am that best baby in the whole world!"
                                                        My angel mid first flight

Until the flight home.

Which sucked.

So, so much.
                     Bo having none of this early morning flight BS prior to the second one.

She cried from take off to touch down. It was one of those terrible super early morning flights where no one has brushed their teeth yet and instantly take off their shoes, so everything smelled like feet and plaque. Nothing we did could soothe her, nothing we did would please her. She was straight up pissed.

Everyone around us would either avoid eye contact, or stare right at us, screaming with their eyes, "You are clearly pieces of shit parents, which why your child is behaving this way at 5:50am! I have half a mind to call CPS as soon as I can take my phone off of airplane mode!" The family sitting in front of us kept farting and farting and farting. Intentional, angry gasses spewing from their butts like the fire from an elderly Dragon. It was like being shot by fart bullets while being trapped in a Genies bottle; no where to run, no where to hide.
                                                The Cobbs being pummeled with farts.

But...She did her best, and at 16 months, she was such a trooper on no sleep and clogged ears. She was so tired and mad, and cute and sweet. She's my little bug. And during that flight at the height of her crying and screams, when the glares and farts rained down on us like a monsoon out of hell, I leaned over to her closely so that my face was touching her, and I whispered.
"You're the best baby in the whole world."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A "Geriatric Pregnancy" aka "Wow, You Must Be Old As F**k!"

Recently at a store I frequent I had an interaction with the checker I always chat with. He's a nice guy, young, stoned, friendly. For a dude who's constantly baked his memory is impeccable. He always asks about my daughter, and our dog, Dave, and wants to hear about the thing I told him I was going to do the last time I saw him, etc. You get it. Just as I was about to say goodbye he asked if he could check out my engagement ring, since he was in the market and wanted some ideas! And even though I fucking hate it when other people do this, I squealed and jumped up and down a little bit. It seems it's an involuntary response. I asked about his girlfriend. Dude: "She's super cool, very chill for a Caucasian." Me: "Oh, that's good. Most white people are the worst." Dude: "She's like a hippie chick, but not a Vegan or anything." Me: "Thank God." Dude: "And she wants to have kids one day, which is awesome!

My Dad

Yesterday, July 5th, my dad, Richard Albert, died. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 12 years ago and from that developed an insidious type of dementia called Lewy Bodies, which causes a lot of physical issues and accelerates the Parkinson's decline. Basically he was served a shit sandwich with a side of fuck my life. My dad was a quirky guy with a weird sense of humor. He used to play with me by chasing me around the house with a hammer and pretend he was going to smash my little toes. He would pack our lunches with a dog treat that he carefully tin foiled so when we would open it up at lunch all the other kids would laugh and scream. He made us waffles with ice cream in the middle for breakfast and ONLY creamed corn for dinner. He drank buttermilk from the carton. And prune juice. He was private. He would take hour long poops just to be alone and think. He was a scientist and mathematician. He was always trying to work out these insanely impossible to solve equati

Scared Sh*tless For Your Kids Safety? Try These Alternative Solutions!

If you're a parent I bet your days are filled to the brim with utter fear and anxiety that at any minute the world will end. It's scary enough having kids and worrying they're going to hurt themselves just by falling off their roller shoes, let alone the possibility of them walking into a Chuck E Cheese on a random Tuesday and having to duck and cover because one of the animatronics with a history of violence has beef with the day manager. (How did he get hired in the first place?!) So what are we, as parents of the future generation, supposed to do to deal with all this insanity? While there are the logical and thoughtful solutions suggested time after time like, uh, how about we don't give that dude who with a Google history exclusively on "How To Burn A Cat Alive Without Making A Mess" that AR-15, ideas like that  are clearly insane and threaten the very core of all American values of being able to own ALL THE GUNS.    It seems like the only thing we can