Skip to main content

A Letter To The Baby In My Belly

I wrote this to my baby when she was still living in my belly, cockblocking me from all the fun things I used to love to do, like drink in the morning and run a fight club. Now my Bo is here, kicking ass and taking binkies. She's an LA kid, so she'll be totally fine. 

Anyhoo, here it is! 

PS. The end is hormone fueled. Oxytocin man, it's a mother fucker! ;)



Dear baby,

 

As it seems you will be born right here in sunny LA, I feel it is my duty as your mom to alert you to something called the "bullshit” factor here. It refers to the many, many, many times someone will say something to you that may not have the exact meaning of what they intend. This is a universal phenomenon, but here in LA it’s considered the second most widely understood language. Honestly, I'm pretty sure it's tied with Spanish (which you will also be learning because I really want you to teach ME!).


Here are a couple of examples of phrases you may hear that I would like to interpret for you, solely as a time saver.

Let’s start easy, shall we?

#1-“No offense, but…”

True meaning: I’m going to say something offensive to you. You’re going to be offended, but if you say you’re offended I already said you CAN’T be, because no offense! Jesus, you’re sensitive!

Ex: “No offense, but I don’t think that sketch you wrote was funny! I mean, no offense, but if wasn’t all that clever either. No one really believes that a cat really has the ability to drive a car, let alone work for Uber. No offense!”

#2. “I  don’t mean to judge, but….”

True meaning: Oh boy, am I judging! I’m so judgey! Wowie zowie, do I love judging! It’s so fun! I feel terrible about myself, so I’m going to push it off on others!

Ex: ” Ok, I don’t mean to judge, because who am I, right?, but she’s too fat to wear something like that! She’s a mom, I mean, right?! Are you going to finish that donut?”

#3. “Let’s go for a hike!”

True meaning: Let’s walk slightly uphill for a little bit with our coffees and our Lulu Lemon yoga pants.

Ex: “Oh my God, I need to exercise! Let’s go for a hike! I know the perfect hiking place, it’s a block away from my house and the peak is at this really cute bar!”

#4. “I am a total feminist, don’t get me wrong, I just don’t think a woman should be doing….”

True meaning: I’m not sure what feminist means. I hear people talking about it all the time. Does it mean I have to work all the time? I don’t like that. (side note, baby, this opinion is totally fine to have. Everyone is allowed to feel however they feel.)

Ex: “I am a total feminist, but I just don’t believe a woman should ever be the leader of our free world! I mean, I know how I get when I’m on MY period! I can’t get out of bed! It’s like, just call in those codes and get me some ice cream! Amitright?!”

#5. “Oh my God, I LOVE her/him/them!”

True meaning: When it comes from a group of catty girls-“I hate her/him/them!” When it comes from a group of catty boys “I admire her/him/them.” When it comes from an LA person in the business, “Do you know her/him/them?”

Ex: “Oh my God, Random Name? I LOVE them! They were so amazing in SOMETHING and I feel like it changed my life! Do you know Random Name?!”

#6. “I am super spiritual.”

True meaning: No I’m not but does this make me seem more interesting? God I miss the show "Friends" so much!

Ex: “I am just such a spiritual person. I mean, I am so connected to the spirit, it’s nuts. I light candles and everything!”

(Another side note baby, some people are, and either way it’s cool, but if they feel like they have to tell you about it all the time, they probably aren’t.)

#7 “I love you.”

True meaning: This is a tricky one. It means different things from different people. If you hear this from a boy(or girl, you are free to be who you are my love!), and you don’t really know them that well and they’re looking deep into your eyes and have had several beers, its means “Please, let me touch your boobs. I want to touch your boobs.”

If this comes from a friend who you don’t know very well but always seems like they need to borrow something from you, it means “I love that you always let me be a bad friend.”

If this comes from me or your Dad, or anyone in the family, either chosen or by blood,  it means “I love you, because you’re you and you’re awesome. I love you when you are at your best and at your worst. I love all your success’s and failures.  I love you because you are here and I’m so glad that you are.”

 

This kind of skims the surface baby, and there will be more, but if you ever have a question don’t hesitate to ask. That’s what me and your dad are here for!

 

We love you!

 

Mommy

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A "Geriatric Pregnancy" aka "Wow, You Must Be Old As F**k!"

Recently at a store I frequent I had an interaction with the checker I always chat with. He's a nice guy, young, stoned, friendly. For a dude who's constantly baked his memory is impeccable. He always asks about my daughter, and our dog, Dave, and wants to hear about the thing I told him I was going to do the last time I saw him, etc. You get it. Just as I was about to say goodbye he asked if he could check out my engagement ring, since he was in the market and wanted some ideas! And even though I fucking hate it when other people do this, I squealed and jumped up and down a little bit. It seems it's an involuntary response. I asked about his girlfriend. Dude: "She's super cool, very chill for a Caucasian." Me: "Oh, that's good. Most white people are the worst." Dude: "She's like a hippie chick, but not a Vegan or anything." Me: "Thank God." Dude: "And she wants to have kids one day, which is awesome!

My Dad

Yesterday, July 5th, my dad, Richard Albert, died. He was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 12 years ago and from that developed an insidious type of dementia called Lewy Bodies, which causes a lot of physical issues and accelerates the Parkinson's decline. Basically he was served a shit sandwich with a side of fuck my life. My dad was a quirky guy with a weird sense of humor. He used to play with me by chasing me around the house with a hammer and pretend he was going to smash my little toes. He would pack our lunches with a dog treat that he carefully tin foiled so when we would open it up at lunch all the other kids would laugh and scream. He made us waffles with ice cream in the middle for breakfast and ONLY creamed corn for dinner. He drank buttermilk from the carton. And prune juice. He was private. He would take hour long poops just to be alone and think. He was a scientist and mathematician. He was always trying to work out these insanely impossible to solve equati

Scared Sh*tless For Your Kids Safety? Try These Alternative Solutions!

If you're a parent I bet your days are filled to the brim with utter fear and anxiety that at any minute the world will end. It's scary enough having kids and worrying they're going to hurt themselves just by falling off their roller shoes, let alone the possibility of them walking into a Chuck E Cheese on a random Tuesday and having to duck and cover because one of the animatronics with a history of violence has beef with the day manager. (How did he get hired in the first place?!) So what are we, as parents of the future generation, supposed to do to deal with all this insanity? While there are the logical and thoughtful solutions suggested time after time like, uh, how about we don't give that dude who with a Google history exclusively on "How To Burn A Cat Alive Without Making A Mess" that AR-15, ideas like that  are clearly insane and threaten the very core of all American values of being able to own ALL THE GUNS.    It seems like the only thing we can